Saturday, July 12, 2008

Morals & Kids

I saw a mom almost shoplift at Barnes & Noble today with her son. She nonchalantly put a book in her bag, reached for another book, then she saw me watching her and took the book back out of her bag and put it on the shelf. (Note: I was a customer and do not work at B&N but Shane, my husband, is a manager. I did tell a manager that was working about what I saw). On the way home I talked with Colton and Calvin about stealing. I feel like there are so many morals/values that we are currently teaching our kids. Boundaries is a common word in our house. And Colton and Calvin are learning how to apologize for accidentally hurting another person. So many of our morals we teach by example. When Shane and I yell at each other or the kids, we find that the kids start to yell at us and each other. When Colton or Calvin stub their toe it isn't uncommon to hear them say shit or dammit, just like I do. They both love to hold the door open for people at stores, and I expect it of them. And they KNOW not to steal. It is disappointing to see a mother with a young child teaching the opposite by her example.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home