Thursday, January 21, 2010

Extended Family.

My daycare kids are like an extension of our family. We love them perhaps even more than our nieces and nephews. I am sincerely excited in the mornings when my "babes" arrive one by one. Dropped off by parents who are tired, telling me how their kid was up all night, or sick parents, telling me that they are going home to spend the day puking, or once in awhile even hungover parents. Some parents are excited to be going to work, others dreading it. Some days the kids jump into my arms ready for the day, and some days they cling to their parents a little extra long. Sometimes they sit on my lap for a half hour needing to adjust to the day, and other days they bulldoze into the house with no cuddle time at all. I've gotten pretty good at reading all of their moods, their crys, and I can often decipher who has a poopy diaper just by the scent.

I get to be a teacher, a nurturer, a mother. I may have mentioned this before, but when I started doing daycare I wasn't a fan of daycare. I would have never put my kids into one. But after doing it myself, I would, I could. I really feel that parents shouldn't feel guilt for dropping their kids off at daycare, or with grandma, or with a baby sitter. Who decided that kids only need their moms and dads? What is really important is that they are with someone that sincerely loves them, cares what happens to them, wants them to grow, and encourages growth. The hardest parts of my job are the best. Potty training, teaching a kid how to keep their non-sippy cup towards the middle of the table so they don't knock it over with their elbow, sharing... I am so proud of my babes at every mile stone. I tear up when little B. eats over his plate or picks up the toys. I tear up when Little M. shares her toy. I tear up when Little R. gives me baby kisses, and Big Sister R. screams "I love you Rachel!" from the breakfast table. I tear up when Little I. pees on the toilet, or when her and Carrera spend an hour playing Polly Pockets and I don't have to say "Get that out of your mouth!" at all. (Little funny, I just turned my head and looked at Little G. and said "Get that out of your mouth!" and he handed me a tiny Cogsworth - perfect timing).

Well, during writing this I paused to: clean up breakfast, help kids pee, wipe butts, plunge a toilet, put princess dresses on three girls, read a book to one kid, break up a fight, cuddle, give kisses, and more. ...and just gave them all a snack before Sesame Street at 10:00 a.k.a. cuddle time!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home