Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Confrontation.

My prompt today will be the first word that popped into my head: Confrontation.

In my Community Psychology therapy technique class we end up discussing confrontation regularly. And, as to be expected, all my classmates hate and avoid confrontation. I have a love-hate relationship with confrontation. And sometimes, with certain people, more of a love relationship. I have to tone it down for Shane because he feels like I am beating him up with all the confrontation and bluntness I provide him with. The thing is, I LOVE when people tell me how they really feel (although I hate it when people decide to tell me how they really feel when I am trying to tell them how I really feel). I grew up somehow becoming a very passive person, believing everything that everyone else said and never standing up for myself. Something changed when I had kids. Confrontation became this mama bears biggest challenge. I was determined to overcome. I would become, I told myself, a master at confrontation. And therefore I took every opportunity, and despite fear, I dove in, sometimes ending up feet first, head first, or completely belly flopping (that can sting!). But I never gave up. I refuse to give my daughter, or my sons, an example of a mother that doesn't stick up for herself and her family. So I may hate the actual physical act of confronting someone, but I know that I love the results... usually (read: when my husband doesn't end up being ticked at me for two weeks, or when I can actually wave to my neighbor because she doesn't avoid me at all costs).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home