Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Fresh

I love the fresh feeling of a new year. It is a wonderful new chance to change things that I want to change in my life. I want to be a better mother. Not that I am a bad mother, but I can get preoccupied with things that are really very trivial. I was reading Mothering magazine today and one author coined the phrase SLFWPs (silly little first-world problems), and used shrunken garments and missed appointments as examples (Freedom From FGM by Candace Walsh/Jan-Feb 2007 issue). I am so sick of getting stressed over whether or not my kitchen floor has been cleaned or if I have a pile of things to do in the corner of the office. I remember watching an actress on some late night show 7-10 years ago saying that she only buys/wears used clothing because there is such a surplus of clothing that is barely used and yet we go buy more. It may be anti-capitalist, but who the hell cares (Side note: Shane came to church with me when we were first dating and the pastor preached a sermon about Jesus being a capitalist. No wonder Christianity is so fu*ked up. We are using Jesus to promote our political views.) Anyway, I want to focus less on what I have and more on what I can give. I may not have any extra money, but I have time and I can invest in the lives of my children and the children that I care for. Now I am going to go and make cookies with Colton and Calvin while Carrera is asleep in her sling strapped to my chest. I love my life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home