Thursday, February 19, 2009

Helen Fisher Book.

Shane and I are reading Why Him? Why Her? by Helen Fisher. Helen Fisher is a anthropology research professor, expert on the nature of romantic love, and scientific advisor to chemistry.com/match.com.

I'll start this out by saying that I have done MANY personality tests/profiles. I think I know my personality better than I know the back of my hand. Shane on the other hand hates personality tests, or anything that labels people into groups and categories. Of course his interest in this book is the scientist angle. Helen Fisher isn't just writing another personality profile, but she is doing/using gene research. Her personality categories are based on research that has been done on our chemical makeups and genes. Research is revealing that more of our personality is genetic than perhaps we have ever imagined. I've always been intrigued by the nature vs. nurture debate. (I'll blog more on that another time). I LOVE genes! I absolutely LOVE reading or hearing about gene research. So this personality book is right up my ally.

Back to the book...

So Fisher created four personality types (like most personality tests do): Builder, Explorer, Director and Negotiator. Like most personality tests, on her test the top score is your primary personality and the second to the top is your secondary personality. We are not 100% one personality, that would make life too boring. What I found interesting and different from other personality tests is that Fisher's research is focused on learning about why we chose the mate we chose, and what combinations are best to creating a lasting partnership (marriage). Most personality lectures/articles that I have listened to/read have said that opposites attract. For example using The Personaltiy Color Indicator (by Carol D. Ritberger, PhD), greens marry oranges and reds marry yellows. (I am green and Shane is orange) But Fisher's research has found that most often, and what works best, is when Builders marry Builders, Explorers marry Explorers, Directors marry Negotiators, and Negotiators marry Directors. Hmmm... I'm not very far into the book yet, but this is truly fascinating to me. I am a NEGOTIATOR/Explorer and Shane is a DIRECTOR/Something (he hasn't taken the test yet). So, this morning over coffee I was thinking about all the men I've 'loved' and dated, or even just crushed on over the years. Almost all of them were Explorers.

More to come...

1 Comments:

Blogger Homeopath said...

yeah great book!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home