Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thoughts.

So much on my mind.

I am not immune to stereotyping.

When I went to college right out of high school I was very interested in getting my degree in Applied Psychology, but people discouraged me. The main things that I remember about the discouragement were that they said: people that go into that field are wacko, and Psychology is for smart people and Applied Psych is for the dumb people. Being that I have always categorized myself as smart, there was no way I was going to be wacko and dumb, so I filed that desire, and worked towards a degree in History. Now, after ten years, I am revisiting the idea of Applied Psych (it is now called Community Psych). I am taking a Psychology class right now, but I really do not enjoy doing research. I enjoy reading all about it, but conducting it is not my thing. I'd rather be using or applying the research.

My sister, M., and I talked about my stereotypes a few weeks ago. She actually admitted that she may have been one of the people who discouraged me from doing Psychology or Applied Psychology. And then she said "We're all wacko, no matter what field we are in." Well, duh, we are probably wacko before we choose our degree or career, and all of us probably are a little wacko.

Last night I had a second revelation. My other sister, D., once told me that I may not have a large I.Q., but I have a large E.Q. (Emotional Quotient). Obviously, the nature of that comment may indicate that she doesn't have a large E.Q., cause I would NEVER say that to someone. The comment didn't offend me. I took it as a compliment because it was coming from D. (She is one of the sweetest people in the world!). Anyway, does my intelligence really matter? I may not be the smartest in my classes (Ok, so I am smart, just not the smartest.), but with Applied Psych all I need is dedication and desire. My success really is not determined by being the most intelligent.

I am looking at a few options for minors. The first is Early Childhood and Family Studies, which would apply to my daycare training and pertain to what I do now. The second, Women's Studies, which would feed my liberal feminist self. The third is Communication Studies (and/or possibly Intercultural Communication Studies). I actually am leaning towards the third one, Communication Studies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home