Friday, April 03, 2009

Top of the line.

Do I run a top of the line daycare?

I had an interview tonight with the parents of two preschoolers that are looking for immediate child care. I haven't been seeking to fill my last two preschool slots. Mostly because very few people are looking for care for preschoolers and it costs money to advertise. ...Ok, now for the real reason: I have been worried that if I added some new kids to our perfect mix it would cause chaos in our galaxy. The thing was, on a whim I called this woman back yesterday and ended up scheduling an interview for this evening. What surprised me was that I really liked them! The couple seemed very SOLID. The type of parents whose kids I would want to watch. They have two more interviews next week, but sounded very interested in my daycare and were very impressed by the interview (the dad said so before they walked out the door). I'm trying not to get myself too hyped up because they still have more interviews and I also didn't get a chance to meet the children tonight.

There was a point in time when I didn't want to have a full daycare and really thought that I couldn't stretch myself that far. I guess that I'm not so sure anymore. Currently I watch six kids during the day and eight when my boys get home from school. I'm not going to claim that it is easy, but we have our routines and, well, it has become easy. The hardest part of my job is listening to crying. The two youngest kids I watch are very clingy, seeking constant attention. I am very good at giving every child attention and affection. I could write a thesis on each of their individual personalities and I love to challenge them to stretch out and learn. We read books, dance to music, count everything from our toes to our carrots and peas to our owies (that one is my favorite). Learning is a game in this daycare. The kids have no clue that the games we play, books we read, interactions we have are all geared towards learning. I've read quite a bit on child development and parenting. I have philosophies that I stay fairly true to (more than I want to write about in this blog, but maybe later).

So all this got me thinking, am I a top of the line daycare provider? At daycare trainings I meet lots of other providers, many of which the contact is brief. But through observation I have learned a few things. Top of the line, excellent daycare providers have full daycares and waiting lists. They are easy to pick out from the way they talk and how they talk about the kids in their care. The majority of the providers I meet are NOT top of the line. They are providers that have a hard time keeping their slots full, have larger turnover, seem unkempt, boast about bending the rules. I actually had a provider boast to the whole class that she spanks the kids in her daycare. WHAT! Looking back, I should have reported her (hopefully the instructor did). And providers that admit to only serving foods that the kids will eat. Ok, that may not sound bad, but mac 'n cheese and hotdogs or chicken nuggets every day?! Mostly it is the energy and attitude that gives away the not top of the line providers. May I call them 'half ass' providers? These half ass providers slam the kids they watch and only talk negatively about them. Half ass providers say things like "It isn't my responsibility to teach the kids their alphabet, that is the parents job."

I guess my conclusion is that I am on my way to becoming a top of the line provider. I've only been in the business for two and a half years and haven't yet proved myself. I haven't had a full daycare. And although I could easily fill an infant or toddler spot with a click of a few buttons on Facebook, I don't have a waiting list. But I do have the attitude. My daycare kids and families are THE BEST, and we are a team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home