Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cleaning Demon.

Last night I decided that I had enough. I have been sick for too long and my house was a disaster. Piles of stuff that really did need to get done. So I put the kids to bed, slammed a REALLY strong cup of coffee, put on some tunes and got to work. It was wonderful! I got the whole upstairs finished by midnight. Of course then I couldn't sleep because of the coffee. Needless to say, after only four hours of sleep, I am a little tired today. But I am determined to do the whole downstairs tonight. That should be a little easier. Upstairs I had clogged drains, and dog puke to clean off the carpet. Anyway, I got to thinking about why I enjoy cleaning so much. The number one thing that I remember about my home growing up is that it was almost always immaculate. I'm sure that my mother cleaned to cope with living with an alcoholic/bi-polar spouse and being a stay-at-home mom of six. I think that organization and cleanliness are not natural to my personality type. I tend to procrastinate in all other areas of my life. And I lose everything - keys, glasses, checks, coffee cup, whatever I really need at the time. Yet when Shane asked me where the motorcycle's manual was last night I could tell him exactly where to find it. Somehow I have become just like my mom. I clean to relieve stress. Actually it is the ultimate stress relief for me (better than sex). Even with little sleep I am flying high today. Organization is my way to control my universe. I have three sisters that are control freaks too. But it is very important to me that I not make having an immaculate home a larger priority than being with my own children. I don't remember EVER, EVER spending quality time with my mom as a child. I remember her reading to me a few times when I would beg her, and she always tucked me in at night. I know she loved me, but my memories of her are her cleaning, cooking, sewing and when she took a break, reading (to herself). I hope my kids learn organization from me, but I hope that they also learn my favorite word: MODERATION. That is why I try to save the major cleaning for after bedtime. That is why I slammed the cup of coffee last night and worked until my hands were dry and cracked and my back hurt. I like having a clean and organized home. I like having a clean and organized work environment. But my kids really don't care, they just want me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home