Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Vocab.

I remember wondering: Are Colton and Calvin EVER going to begin to talk? Now I find myself thinking: How can Carrera be old enough to talk already? It may just be that girls talk earlier. That combined with twins talking later (I research everything cause I'm a nerd). Colton and Calvin were at least three when they started to really talk (Colton later than Calvin). Carrera talks constantly (unless we have company over and then she is a little shy), and in sentences. Right now she is playing princesses and they are talking to each other. She is saying things like: "Cindy, stay here!"; "I hate you!"; "I go with you. Wait, wait!"; "I miss you! You my friend!"; "Highness, stay here!" (Cindy is Shane's pet name for Cinderella). Of course she is almost shouting all her sentences for dramatic effect. As much as I am shocked that she is really getting older, it is VERY fun to be able to interact more on a verbal level with her. She can tell me EXACTLY what she wants, and she does. Like oranges. She is obsessed with oranges right now and asks for them all the time. She hasn't quite figured out a few words. She says "Mama, I full" when she is hungry and yesterday she said "Daddy play dums" (instead of drums). Of course it was Calvin playing drums, not daddy. Calvin is REALLY getting good at playing drums. He has been practicing a lot. I stub my toe on that damn trap set every day, but it is worth having it set up to hear Calvin play. Colton doesn't really have the interest to play. He has been rather obsessed with hugging and kissing people. It really is frustrating because he hasn't quite learned all the social cues that people give when they don't want to be hugged or kissed, but it is nice to see him love the people in his life so intensely. His best friend at school is not going to continue with the Chinese in first grade. I haven't talked much about it with the kids because I'm pretty sure that the friend's parents have not told their son yet. I thought it might be better to let the friend tell Colton and Calvin when he finds out, I wouldn't want my boys to spoil that one. I know that Colton and Calvin will be really sad about that. We had a meeting on Monday night for the Chinese immersion parents. Right now there are only enough students continuing next year to have one first grade section (there were two kindergarten sections this year). A few kids have moved, or have already quit the program. We plan on sticking it out at least until Junior high. Obviously we will reassess it every year. Both Colton and Calvin have been talking a lot in Chinese and reading a little in Chinese too. Their math is great, but as expected they are a little behind in English reading. No worries, we were told to expect that until about third grade. Two days ago Colton asked me a question in Chinese, Calvin interpreted for me: "He just asked if he could have rectangle (Club) crackers." It was so nonchalant that I had to laugh. I'm sure there will be lots of talking in Chinese to come. I hope that they have a community ed class this next year for Chinese. I think that I should learn a little more than I know right now. Just think, in less than three years it will be all three of the kids talking in Chinese. Carrera is already picking up some of it from her brothers so she may have a little head start. There were two other two year olds at the meeting, so she got to play with some of her future school mates. She was definitely Ms. Popularity. Definitely not my child. I have never been very popular myself.

Carrera just grabbed my arm and said "I want something eat. My tummy full." So that ends this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home