Friday, March 20, 2009

Yoga Night.

Thursday night is yoga night. It has worked out great. I met my instructor through community ed and she teaches two classes on Thursdays at a facility very near our house. The class I attend is from seven to about eight thirty. What I like so much about the class is that you only pay when you go. So if Shane works I can stay home. That means I don't have to choose whether to pay a babysitter or skip a class that I've already paid for. I understand why most instructors make you pay whether you attend or not. Hey, that is what I do as a daycare provider. But I really think that Tracy, my instructor, is on to something. Her class is always full, even if it isn't the same people from week to week.

When I first started doing yoga I had issues with the whole 'yoga image.' I am fairly flexible which makes it fun. I can put both of my feet behind my head. I like the energy of yoga and it really is a great workout. I also have hip issues, so yoga helps my whole body feel better. But yoga is popular, and I've always had an aversion to what is popular (or even normal, but I'll save that topic). But I sucked it up, and got over myself and I go.

I have issues with 'image'. I talk about it with my therapist and homeopath a LOT. On one side I feel that I am trying to portray a certain image to people, and on the opposite end, I try to NOT fit a certain category or group. I love piercings, tattoos, and I LOVE my pink hair, but I am not a bad ass. I love comfy tees and jeans, but I also love heals and skirts. I love kids most of the time, but I'm not really a baby lover most of the time. I'm not sure if it is just me, or maybe our culture, but I am always categorizing, organizing people into groups. Unfortunately I've never really fit into any one group. I'll be honest, I was really scared to try this yoga class because I was worried that I wouldn't fit in. I am not a raw vegan (although my best friend is), and I like my coffee. I eat meat, I eat 'junk food' more than I should. I ate cookies for breakfast and lunch today, and I think I will finish the whole oversize SAMS club cookie tin before the weekend is over. I don't always buy organic. Will I ever fit in a yoga class? Hell yes. I LOVE the women in my class! Sure, a few of them are granola, but not all of us. We're all women taking a break from our diverse lives to come together for something that makes us feel good. Leave your image at the door. I may not get to my yoga every day, but Thursdays... Yoga night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home